January 14, 2014

Photo Prompt 14 - January Challenge


There are many things about my childhood home that I miss, but as I grow older a select few of them continue to resonate with me. We moved a handful of times, but our last house was our home, and although I miss it my heart breaks at the thought of going back. Perhaps it's because of all the good memories that I don't want to get mixed up with the bad news of my current time.  Whatever the reason, as I look forward to buying my own home, I know I want it to have a few things in common with that home. 

Beware, because things are about to get really personal. 

First, it was my own corner of the world. I didn't have to worry about privacy, about neighbors (particularly lazy one who can't clean up their own dog's poo or watch tv at a decent volume), or about the noisy highways interrupting my thoughts. It was quiet and calm, just how I like things to be. 

Secondly, if I didn't want to be stuck inside I had all of nature as my backyard. I could lay under a tree and read, sit on the porch and sip tea, I could take a walk in the woods, swim in the river - possibilities were endless. I spent my days being active and exploring the world (as I saw it).

Lastly, it was the place where my loved ones were all together, before the divorce of my parents, before my brother enlisted in the service; home was where my family was. 

As I look forward to preparing a wonderful home for my son, because the years are going by faster than could be, the one thing I'm focusing on is love. Truly, home is wherever love goes. And even if I have to wait a few more months or years to find a home like that, I'm going to make the best of the home I have now. Zeke won't remember how our rooms were decorated or if the neighbors were annoying, he will remember the memories we made there together. And I'll be damned if they're not ones full of happiness and love. 



No comments:

Post a Comment