January 13, 2014

Photo Prompt 13 - January Challenge


I've never had a good relationship with my reflection.

As an infant I was unaware. As a child I was only able to see what my imagination allowed me to see. As a preteen I saw missing teeth and knees covered in scabs. As a teenager I saw pimples and blemishes galore. 

When would I ever see something worth seeing? Something lovely. Something unique. Something delightful. Something extraordinary.

You see, all those years I've looked in the mirror I've seen the scars of my mistakes, the lack of sleep, improper hydration and nourishment, sad faces, angry faces, and the aging of my skin. I've seen a woman who is flawed and guilty. A woman who can rarely make eye contact with herself.

What do I see in other women? Confidence. Security. Intelligence. Beauty. Glamour. Joy. Talent. Creativity.

One day, I was looking at myself, loathing the image before me, when I was tempted to break the glass. If I didn't have to see my pathetic reflection, surely my problems would disappear.

Then I heard a voice.

He told me to "look again."

I saw Satan, I saw him attacking a lovely young woman, using her past to mock her, placing her imperfections under a magnifying glass, telling her lies about her worth.

That woman was me I realized. I had been allowing Satan to distort my perception of who I was made to be.

And then He conquered Satan and this is what I saw:

A young woman who is loved more than rubies. Someone valued and cherished. Someone who has gifts to share with others. Someone who has received blessings far beyond what she deserves. Someone who sins, but receives forgiveness and grace. Someone who is part of His master plan. Someone whom He created in His image, whose beauty matches no other of His creation, who can never lose His care and affection.

And then I smiled, because I didn't need a mirror anymore. For one doesn't place a light in front of a mirror, but they take their light out into the world so that is can do what lights do best...

Shine.



No comments:

Post a Comment