January 21, 2014

Photo Prompt 21 - January Challenge

This piece is dedicated to my Nanny and Papaw Rose. This picture reminds me of my home away from home, the lovely yellow house at the end of "Nanny's Hallway!"


The sun would be rising as we packed up our car and headed home. Home isn't always where you live, although that's home of course, but it's where you feel like you belong. Each summer I would count down the days until we would leave for Nanny and Papaw's. I loved taking vacations to the beach or to theme parks, but nothing compares to the little yellow house on the mountainside. 

You can tell God is in every inch of creation there, from the crisp mountain air to the sound of the creek after heavy rain. From sunrise to sunset, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth to me. Surrounded by nature, in the peace and quiet, it's my home away from home. Growing up spending weeks with Nanny and Papaw would be more exciting than a trip to DollyWood. From the moment we would arrive we wouldn't stop laughing, playing, or exploring. 

I remember the trips we would take to Papaw's cabin; if the thrilling ride up a steep mountain wasn't exciting enough, just wait until he would tell you about his bear sightings! Our walks up Dead Man's Mountain, where I could place my hands on the lifeless chains, made me feel like quite the conqueror, until we realized we had swam in a sea of sting weed. I wouldn't be able to finish this piece if I had to tell you about my favorite part of spending time with Papaw; his cooking! I could live on his strawberry french toast - or anything else for that matter. He always made sure we had full bellies, and our hearts were full of happiness as well!

Nanny is one of my inspirations for story writing; she's the best story teller I've ever met! I could listen to her talk about our ancestors all day and night. And her ghost stories are quite chilling to hear as well; especially on dark nights out on the gazebo. Besides filling our heads with stories of the past, she knew how to keep us busy with trips to the pool or the library, out visiting Great Granny Moore, or walks at Fish Pond Lake. I couldn't wait to find out what fun she had in store for us. One time she even put together a grand scavenger hunt upon our arrival. I was awarded with a lovely ruby slipper key chain that I use even to this day.

Another favorite spot is none other than Auntie Lisa's! She's that fun, hip Aunt everyone else wishes they had! Growing up she would entertain us for hours on end. I remember tagging along on family vacations and our many trips to the movies or the mall. She makes me feel like one of her own and the best friend a girl could have. Now that I am grown up she makes the best cup of coffee as we sit and share our secrets. She's a woman after my own heart, and I'm proud when people tell me they can see some of Aunt Lisa in me! 

Just thinking about all of those wonderful memories brings a smile to my face. Knowing that I have family who loves me and takes me for who I am is such a great blessing. To be able to share these wonderful memories, and to make many more new ones, with Zeke is something I am truly looking forward to. I'm hoping to be reunited with Nanny and Papaw soon. Until then, I'll close my eyes and imagine the beauty and solace that I find at the end of Nanny's "hallway."

Oh, how I can't wait to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment